Society of Petroleum Geophysicists, Chennai chapter started functioning since Nov 96 with merely sixty members. Soon it gain popularity when first International Geophysical Symposium was organized in Delhi during Jan. 96 under SPG banner in association with SEG, USA.
The geophysical community then felt the necessity to become organized under SPG to express their views / suggestion in a common forum.
A good number of geo-scientist joined SPG, Chennai Chapter, and to date about 120 executives are members of SPG ,Chennai.
- A lecture was organized on Geophysical technologies in New Millenium by distinguished lecturer Dr.Fred Aminzadeh on 26 th May at Hotel, Savera, Chennai.
- SPG - India , has organized a Post conference training course on Seismic attributes and applications at Hotel Savera , Chennai as a sequel to the third conference of exposition on petroleum geophysics.
- A general body meeting was conducted on 3 rd July 2000 to constitute Editorial board to run news letter JIGYANSA and technology and continuing education committee. Opinion of SPG members were sought on society bylaws in Sep.2000 circulated by SPG, Dehradun.
- A general body meeting of SPG ,Madras chapter was organized on 13th Nov. The SPG President Shri A.G Pramanik addressed the members. The meeting had a very lively interactive session.
- A lecture on Advanced Bore Hole Seismic Application and Sonic Application was arranged on 30 th Nov at CMDA Bldg. , ONGC office which was delivered by S /Sri P.
- Thyagi and Satyaki Ray of M/s Schlumberger and presided over by R .D , ONGC, S.R.B.C.
- Again on March 20 th 2001 , a lecture was arranged on Marginal field development - a way forward at CMDA Bldg. ,ONGC office , delivered by Karra Sastry ,President & CEO of Hardy Exp& Prod (India ) Inc. and presided over by R.D , ONGC ,SRBC & attended by many senior officers of ONGC.
To improve the communication awareness among the members , a monthly newsletter was started on March 2000 and the first issue JIGYANSA was released by Shri.C .P. Saha , Regional Director ,ONGC, SRBC.
Executive Body of SPG Chennai Chapter for 2022-2024 :
Shri K. Baskaran